Re: [TCML] Frequencies

Rhys Sage wrote:
Has anybody any idea of the frequency of pulses one should put into a coil to produce 25 and 50KV?

I've been looking into the 555 circuit that I started to build and have found add-on after add-on to make it work better and to protect it. So much so that it's very off-putting. Thus I'm thinking very much of junking the whole 555 idea as barmy and going for a pair of interrupters, a pair of optical relays and an electric motor with a spinning disk with holes punched in it. It's simple and easier to construct.
Rhys Sage

what kind of coil? tesla coils run at 100-300 pulses/second sorts of rates. Auto ignition coils run at similar rates, perhaps up to a kHz (6000 RPM in a 8 cylinder is 400 Hz)

yes.. driving a coil is non trivial, if you don't want the parts to cook. For auto coils, one way to do it is just to go get an electronic ignition and drive that with the 555.