Re: [TCML] caps for quarter shrinker question

DC Cox wrote:
You need approx 3.5 kJ to do a great job can crushing.  We use a 20 uF cap,
but only charge it for a short time period.

You can use a pair of MOTs, current limit each one to 12 Amps, connect sec
in series, then run into a voltage doubler for around 11 kV DC out.  I use
an ignitron which is triggered by a 1.5 kV, 2 uF cap discharge into the
trigger.  I use this same setup to blow up 48" long copper wires, only run
the charge up higher.   This works great.

I use a mechanical switch. Two bolts driven head to head by a pneumatic cylinder.