Re: [TCML] mini Tesla coil specs

It's not a TC but I have the remains [front panel and "works"] of a spark gap diathermy machine with a transformer that puts out about 1900 volts. Thing has an adjustable gap and fires just fine. The resonant frequency is about 1.5 MHz and I've been keeping the thing around with the thought of using it to excite a small TC "just for fun".

My small TC uses a 2800 V transformer with 3 section cylinder gap and works well too. Gap is set to fire at a bit under OC voltage.

Ed

Lau, Gary wrote:

Hi Shawn,

I don't know that I've ever heard of a Tesla coil operating with a voltage as low as 2kV.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but you'd be plumbing new depths there.  Definitely use a single static gap, with direct airflow thru the gap.  Using the 5/60 unit is certainly the better option.

For small coils, you really want high inductance secondaries (and primaries).  I'd choose the 28 AWG wire, or finer.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA