Re: [TCML] Spark Length Measurement Techniques

Hi Matt,

This would not be useful as an indication of spark length between coils. It's simply a tuning aid for the longest spark length the coil can produce at a measured power input. That's it's only purpose (well, there is of course the fun of watching the arc travel along the path).

If you think about new or even moderately new coilers trying to tune their coils (even old timers), this may be a very useful technique. Granted, the spark will be a little longer than normal, but it does help direct the spark into a very manageable path and provides a gauge to measure the length as you tune the coil. Seems ok in my head (but maybe I'm having a "glass is half full week").

Regards,
Bart

mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Gary, All,

I would have to agree with you on this, Providing an intermittant conductive path would have to produce somewhat better results than a straight shot through open air. Of course, it wouldn't matter if everyone used the same technique, for then it would be a comparable, if artificial number.