Re: [TCML] Spark Length Measurement Techniques

It will produce longer sparks of course. But that's not it's purpose. It's simply to tune the coil for the longest arc length as a visual aid and measuring target. Then remove the string of nails and run normally (at of course normal spark lengths for the power involved).

Take care,
Bart

Dex Dexter wrote:
Well,I don't like it.I'm affraid it can produce longer disharge lenghts than through the free air.

Dex

Dave Leddon wrote:
Here's a scheme that I use to tune a coil to it's maximum spark length which also yields an accurate measure the length achieved. I tape a nylon weed-wacker line to the toroid and attach the opposite end to a vertical support about 20 feet from the coil. Suspended from the line are about 20 movable wooden dowels each pierced by small nails at the lower end with the nail furthest from the coil being grounded. An arc from a breakout point on the toroid will jump from nail to nail to reach ground and so you just keep increasing the dowel spacing an readjusting the coil until the arc cannot reliable span the distance. Once the coil is tuned to achieve a maximum spark length, all one has to do is measure the span and subtract the total length of the nails.

Here's a picture this setup taken at Greg Leyh's Nevada Lightning Laboratory last summer:
http://www.teslacoiling.com/firingthegap.jpg

Dave