Re: [TCML] JAVATC - Question

Thanks Greg?- some good ideas.??Dennis?

-----Original Message-----
From: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 4:56 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] JAVATC - Question

If you use drawer or cabinet knobs, make sure they are solid brass.  Most
furniture knobs are brass plated zinc alloy.  The brass coating will burn away
quickly, leaving rough, pitted zinc alloy to carry the arc.  Not good.  Make
sure the knobs you select really are solid brass.  They will be easy to identify
by their much higher price tag!

I found some 1.25" solid brass balls with a 3/8" blind threaded holes in them on
e-bay.  I plan to use them as safety gaps on my pole pig.  They were very
inexpensive.  You may be able to find some too.

Have you thought about 1" or larger copper pipe caps?  They have a nice flat,
smooth face.  Think of two short lengths of Cu pipe with a cap soldered on each
end.  Mount the pipes in-line, so the spark gap is between the faces of two pipe
caps.  As a bonus, if the caps become dirty or pitted over time, you could just
rotate the pipes 180 and use the other end as an instant spare.

Cheers,

Greg