Re: [TCML] JAVATC - Question

On that note, actual spheres are available in solid brass. Although I only use these for safety gaps, I always remove the plating to get to the bare brass. Insert a screw into the knob and cut off the screw head. Then insert the knob into your drill. You can then easily remove the plating by spinning it in steel wool and come up with a pretty nice finish at the same time. If you leave the plating on, it will become very black and pitted.

Bart

G Hunter wrote:
If you use drawer or cabinet knobs, make sure they are solid brass.  Most furniture knobs are brass plated zinc alloy.  The brass coating will burn away quickly, leaving rough, pitted zinc alloy to carry the arc.  Not good.  Make sure the knobs you select really are solid brass.  They will be easy to identify by their much higher price tag!