Re: [TCML] Primary Coil Copper Saving Idea

Christopher Karr wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Sometimes, on eBay, you'll find extremely good buys (in comparison to
that $77 spool of 11Lbs. Jim Lux mentioned, and your $100 for 10Lbs.
quote). One fair example would be the fact that, every time I've
bought magnet wire, I've bought it for less than $8 per pound, and
I've never bought off of anything other than eBay (excluding a pound
of 40AWG I bought from a local electronics shop).

Mind you, $77/11 lbs is $7/lb.. which is less than $8/lb.

What I would watch out for is shipping costs..

One of the other listings cited is about $5/lb after shipping

It all comes down to convenience..

I suspect if you were to talk to a motor rewinding shop in your local area that does a lot of work (so they're always buying new wire, and following the spot price, as a result), it would be the optimum scheme.

OTOH, there's something nice about punching in a credit card number and having the stuff dropped on your doorstep a few days later. time *is* money (or value, anyway).

I'm going to be buying about 50 pounds of wire in the near future, so it looks like I'm going to get some practical knowledge.