Re: [TCML] sealing a cardboard form

----- Original Message ----- From: "DC Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] sealing a cardboard form

A Tesla coil secondary coilform is subjected to very high potential
stresses.  Why not just use a product especially developed to seal high
voltage transformer windings?

Because improvisation and learning is why I do this. If I want a perfect secondary, I can buy one. But why bother?

Dolph's AC-43 is one such liquid especially designed with high dielectric
resistance, and anti-tracking properties.

Do you sell this stuff or what?

You certainly can take a chance with other products, but if they don't do
the job then you have to completely replaced the coilform and rewind the
coil.

We learn by doing.

It really comes down to one thing --- just how important is your time and
how many times do you want to do it over again?

"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."

Or in less Nietzschian terms, we learn by doing.

Do it right the first time and completely eliminate all the variables.

Or just buy it?

Various material might just work, but why take a risk on something that
isn't tested to seal and insulate high voltage transformer windings?

Why not experiment?

PBT