Re: [TCML] DRSSTC driver board

The smaller design uses an 80 Amp, 600 Volt IGBT while the 30 kVA design
calls for PowerEx CM1200 IGBTs.

Our design uses a smaller IGBT for the standard 120 Volt input, 6 ft long
spark coil, and the larger board set will drive up to 30 kVA. The smaller
coil board set is dubbed the model SSTC-10 and uses a standard voltage
doubler to get the line potential up to 335 VDC.  It operates at 70 kHz
resonant freq.  We used 2000 uF, 450 VDC caps (two) in the voltage doubler
section.  It's fitted into a highly polished 3/8" acrylic enclosure
measuring 18 x 18 inches square x 8 inches high.  The sec coil is 49 x 8.25"
OD and screws into this base unit.  On the cap board the tank
circuit consists of 6 MMC caps in series-parallel configuration.  At our
forthcoming Tesla Fest 2009, Aug 29th, we expect to have three machines
operating in a 120 degree spacing with a center ground point.

At present we plan on rewinding the former Big Bruiser coil (25 inch dia. x
90" long sec) to make it into a 30 kVA DRSSTC system.  The boards will be
fabbed this winter in Tucson, but the coil rewind project will not happen
until next spring --- back in Wisconsin.  We're very excited about this
project and expect 43-45 ft. long sparks at 30 kVA input.  Design operating
freq is 15 kHz.

We will fab up 12 boards total, so if members wish to duplicate this coil we
can supply the boards populated and ready to go.  All you have to do is wind
the sec coil on 8" ID sonotube and set up a suitable primary coil.

Dr. Resonance