RE: [TCML] aluminum magnet wire

The difference between CU and AL is:

                     CU           AL
AWG (26) assumed
Diameter             0.0159 in     0.0159 in
Circular Mils        254          254

Resistivity
P, ohms/cm^3         1.72E-8      2.82E-8

Ohms/1K feet         40.81        67.0

Skin depth = 66200 / sqrt(F) microns
Skin Depth, 250 KHz  132 microns  132 microns

SNIP SNIP (further derivations)

BOTTOM LINE:
AL will reduce the "Q Factor" (Xs / Rs) by the ratio of 40.81/67.0, or
0.609. This is a 39% decrease in Q. This leads to a 39% decrease in peak
voltage.

This difference can be, simply, made up for by reducing the gauge of the
wire from 26 to (about) 24 gauge. In other words, drop two gauges and AL is
equivalent to CU.

This analysis neglects, of course, all the weird, strange, quantum and
relativistic effects attributed to Tesla Coils by virtue of their name. No
mantras were spoken in the derivation and no candles were burned nor animals
sacrificed.

Analysis derived but not read...

References are left as an exercise to the student!

73 & Stay Vertical,

Jim Harvey (W7YV) - The Great Curmudgeon
P.O. Box 18009
Salt Lake City, UT 84118
http://www.harveyclan.net
http://www.harveyclan.net/w7yv.htm

FIST # 13337
SKCC # 3194

"Calling CQ was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna
get."