From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Bert Hickman
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:54 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] SISG Technology

Hi Bart,

Nope - this guy didn't abscond with Terry's SISG design...

This particular patent (dated 2002) predates Terry's SISG work by about 4 years and, unlike Terry's approach it uses stacked high speed thyristors as the main current carrying element, with optical sensor/IGBT or pulse transformer triggering for each stage. The SISG is kind of the reverse of this - it uses a thyristor to trigger IGBT power switches. This proposal appears to be a pulsed power adaption of similar optically or transformer isolated stacked thyristor circuits used for the inverters in HVDC electrical power transmission systems. Specially fabricated high di/dt thyristors were employed in this application for faster turn on time. As with the SISG, diodes are used to conduct reverse pulse current. You can see the full disclosure of the approach, schematics, and test results here:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/images4/PATENTSCOPE/17/70/e9/0070e9.pdf

HOWEVER: I see no reason why stacked SISG-like circuits could not be used for certain pulsed power applications, and it would not surprise me to see SISG-like circuits applied to this arena...

Bert