Re: [TCML] Is It Polyethylene?

Its most likely polyethylene. I have made many capacitors out of it. I use a k value of 2.3. I make mine good for 50kv and leave a 1.5" boarder around the plates. never had one fail.
Jay Howson

----- Original Message -----
From: "G Hunter" <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 6:37:36 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [TCML] Is It Polyethylene?

I purchased a roll of "contractor's choice" brand plastic sheeting from Lowe's. It's 6 mil, milky translucent in color. Nowhere does the packaging mention what kind of plastic it is, nor can I find any recycling symbol.

I did the microwave oven test on it, and it didn't warm up at all. Does anyone know what kind of poly this is? Does anyone know a quickie test for us non-chemists?

I'd like to homebrew some caps, but I want to use polyethylene, not vinyl.

Cheers,

Gregory R. Hunter