RE: [TCML] Measuring Amperage in Neon Discharges.

I think Harvey was looking to measure the current drawn by the operating tube, not the NST short circuit current.  Inserting the meter in series with the circuit is perfectly fine, just as long as the meter is set to measure current and not left on the voltage setting.

However, the meter may not read a useful value.  Unless the meter is an RMS-calculating type, it assumes that the current waveform is a sine wave and just reads 0.707 times the peak value.  Since the load current is zero until the ionizing voltage is reached and is non-linear beyond that point, the actual RMS current will be something very different, and it's not clear that RMS is what is needed, anyway.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA