[TCML] Measuring Amperage in Neon Discharges.

Question; Can I simply put a common multimeter in series with a neon tube illuminated by a 30 ma current limited NST secondary, to record that secondaries amperage output? Do I need a special digital meter to do this?

Given a variac input to the NST primary, I notice that shorter bulbs fire at comparatively low input primary voltages. If for example a voltage is selected that will ignite both a 4 inch and a 12 inch bulb, shouldn't it be possible to note the differing amounts of secondary load down for each case by comparing the load current to the short current? Wouldn't it be generally true that the same current should go through both the 4 and 12 inch bulbs tested separately, and that only the voltage across the bulbs should be different, for the same amount of primary voltage input?

If this were true then, does this imply that the differences between the cases could only be measured by the primary amperage input?

Finally, mustn't it be true that since the neon discharge has both a voltage across it and and amperage consumption, by Ohms law it must have an acting resistance in the thousands of ohms? I realize that the neon discharge may have a non-linear resistance according the the voltage imparted across it, and that 12 inch bulbs only have 500-600 volts across them during ionization; but where does the idea of a negative resistance occur, if these parameters show the the neon discharge resistance must be in thousands of ohms?

Confused in Ohio
HDN