Re: [TCML] Sculpture with Tesla coils

Mary Jane Mansfield wrote:
Hello Tesla coilers — I am an artist using water and electricity to create sculpture.
Although I have considerable knowledge of electrical safety with the work I do, this will be my first association with high voltage and electronics.
The foremost questions on my mind are as follows;
• Do you feel this concept is possible?
• How much would it cost for the 2 Tesla coils:
A — To buy them ready to install, or...
B — To build them?
• If I were to familiarize myself by building a small Tesla coil over the next couple of months, would it be reasonable to believe I could build them myself by next summer?
• I have read the Tesla coil safety info online. Is there a formal training coarse available for high voltage safety certification?
Although I think that the idea is possible, there are more than a few technical difficulties: 5 foot sparks require a lot of power. Many kW. A setup intended for operation for more than seconds will require very careful specialized design.
The device is extremely dangerous.
The two coils will produde enormous amounts of ozone and nitrogen oxide. Everything around will be corroded, and people will surely be affected as well. The house may provide insulation, but will concentrate the gases too, leading to corrosion of the materials inside.
The setup will be very noisy.
Huge amounts of electromagnetic interference will be generated. No radio, TV, cell phones, etc. will work reliably in the neighborhood.
Very frequent maintenance may be required.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz