RE: [TCML] Rotary Spark Gap Break Rate?

Gary,

Yes, it will be chatic, unless you can somehow get the perfect circumstances in which the capacitor will charge until it gets to the antinode of a cycle, discharge, and then fire again at the node, never varying in charging rate, never varying in gap quenching, never varying in the amount of ringing.

I was not saying that it is possible to get the perfect 60Hz or 120Hz spark gap, I was simply stating that this is the aim.

> I didn't follow "the electrodes need to be spaced so that they barely can break out at all when they're placed right in front of the stationary electrodes".

Perhaps I should rephrase that - The electrodes should be spaced as far away as possible with the electrodes still being able to bridge the gap easily and at a continuous rate so that your coil isn't 'hiccuping' and, instead, is roaring like it's supposed to.

The goal is to get as close to 60Hz or 120Hz (or any other multiple of 60) as possible. Generally, though, we end up using  1/1 of the wave-form, 1/2 of the wave form, 1/4 of the wave form, 1/8 of the wave form, etc. so that we have maximum efficiency and less erratic firings, which are a sign of poor performance.

Christopher