Re: [TCML] 5kv plane gap size

Hey Jim...
I had to bring out the "book" ( Machinery's handbook # 24and some upper end old collage electronics texts) to do some research but considering your altitude, the so called average would be about 40 - 60 thou depending on humidity ( 95 - 40%) respectively) on flat electrodes of approximately 3/8" and larger dia flat faced surfaces... seems that less than 3/8" dia has a tendency to behaive more like rounded or "semi hemispherical" at 5KV...

what are you building?? and what size electrodes are you using?? are you looking for continious arc after conduction or something that is "quenchable" ??

interested in your design...

Scot D

Jim Mora wrote:

Hi List,

Does anyone know the DC gap breakdown size for 5KV via large, flat dowels at
~800ft-1000ft elevation is? Most of what I find on the Inet are for higher
voltages.

I may have to trigger this, but; I am trying to keep it simple.

Thanks much,
Jim Mora