Re: [TCML] Should I repot this NST?

Well, if it's good, most would just use it as is. But, it probably wouldn't hurt to slow melt it. One thing about melting is that the case, insulators, and gaskets all get hot, so leaks can occur during the process around the insulators. Something like this is up to you. I personally would use it as is.

Take care,
Bart

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:
I got hold of a 12kv 60ma NST from a local sign company. It's pretty old
and the potting is a bit cracked, as you can see:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20929480@N03/sets/72157607383559345/

It passes the "arc to case" test on both sides without any issues, but I
was wondering if I should repot/remelt this?

I almost cranked up the grill, but then I read how you can overcook the
potting on towards the base if not careful.

I did melt some of the bigger cracks closed with my 'pocket blowtorch'.

Steve