Re: [TCML] tesla coil you-tube videos

Hi Scott,

I watched all 3 video's. Nice documentation about the "real world" of how things go. Say "Hi" to Jason and Nathan also. What I really enjoyed is when you guys let the coil simply run, and run, and run! Funny how they will seem to just run forever (if you let them). Of course, when mom drives by, best to lower the input voltage. I liked the toroid configuration just prior to the mesh (the mesh is fine for big coils where toroids get to be impractical, but I like the single channel sparks from a nice toroid better). In the first video, you eventually showed the rotary (not rotating). I thought to myself "oh my, it's going to move on you if you don't have it locked in place". I guess it did, eh? The gap sparks alone will cause that (regardless of EM fun from the primary). I was thinking at the time that a bead of hot glue would have held it still), but later in the video you sort of figured out the issue in your own way.

I know what it's like to run a coil in the snow (it's messy mostly). I lived 10 years in Minnesota (Lakeville, Prior Lake, and Hopkins) and coiled during most of that time (been there and done that). I'm home in California these days, but my family (and me) truly miss the weather (especially the kids, they were raised in Minnesota). I sort of miss dealing with seasons (California has become a bit too hot lately).

Scott, thanks for sharing these video's. These were some of the best I've seen from a documentation of coil. The coil is doing well! Anytime you can do long runs with long sparks, you've got the coil "dialed in". I personally am working with solid state these days (which is new for me). My personal longest run is near 30 minutes (spark gap coil). I rarely run that coil anymore, but I keep it set up just in case I get the urge (it's trustworthy). I hope to do the same with solid state.

Excellent video. I hope everyone takes a look at it.

Best regards,
Bart

Scott Bogard wrote:
Hey all,
After long last I have uploaded all the footage involved with the construction of my 6-inch tesla coil, so if you have a half hour to kill, and are bored, you may view these three videos here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HijP4fFTBnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bU6EFHoag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAOjYK4wkzE
Decent sparks, but the videos are at best a good example of the very hard work and time necessary to obtaining decent results from a system (Murphy must live across the street, if it could go wrong...) Some humorous moments as well. Enjoy, and your comments are welcome.

Scott Bogard.