RE: [TCML] Magnetic Quenching

Good question!

I think this area is also perfect for further research.  If you think about the Poulsen & Duddell Singing Arcs & transmitters, they were in many ways Tesla circuits, or at least similar variations.  Granted, different application, but  some of these transmitters were pushing over 250kW, with low voltage high current arcs no less!  They were also using large (but crude by today's standards) electromagnets...much like those in the Tesla lectures.  I think this concept could really prove fruitful for TCs, which would seem simple in comparisson...  I know of some experimenters in Croatia that had some success with this, using even simple tungsten gaps with NIB magnets.

I think it is too heavy to ship to anyone to play with, but I have a 2 foot tall water-cooled electromagnet with room for a 7" round core (that unfortunately is missing from it!).  It would be a great monster to incorporate into this technology somehow.  I got it to try and figure out the singing arcs one day in the far future.  But time and cost, the core is a vital part obviously, and getting even a chunk of steel that size is an ordeal - much less proper laminations to make a "real" core.   It was made by Varian, and has 6 or 7 coils potted in (?)Epoxy, probably ran from 480V, and even without the core weighs a few hundred pounds.

If anyone has any ideas of what to do with it (or what it might actually be from), I often thought of just filling it with scrap steel and machining some field portions for the top and bottom.  I wish I could "slice" the individual coils out of it to have smaller (& lighter!) versions to play with, but the housing around them is massive, and it seems to well-built to hack into/apart.  It is probably around 16" in diameter.   Maybe a start would be to find some 6" sch 40 [scrap] steel pipe for the core...?  Not sure even where to find that...?  Might be a hernia in the making...

Jeff