Re: [TCML] Very High Voltage Polystyrene Caps on e-bay

Hi Greg,

Yes, polystyrene is excellent for high frequency pulse caps. These caps might be ok, but they are an unknown and a risk until some tries them and reports back. There's no telling what the internal end construction is like. The power dissipation is my biggest worry (it is a rather small cap, so the power cannot be distributed across a string as it could with say 15 of the CD 0.15uF caps needed to achieve the same value). There are some unknowns, but nothing really stands out as a show stopper, expect maybe the price (a string of CD caps to make the same value would cost less). So price and the fact that it's an unknown is the risk. The dielectric itself fine.

Bart

G Hunter wrote:
There's a whole page of these oddballs on e-bay of various sizes and voltage ratings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50kV-10nF-High-Voltage-Polystyrene-capacitor-HAM-audio_W0QQitemZ150269299882QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150269299882&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Polystyrene is one of the "good" pulse cap dielectrics, right?  I wonder if one of these might be suitabe for a tabletop TC?  Anybody ever tried one?  If not pulse duty, then what are these good for?

Greg