[TCML] JAVATC Misunderstanding

Hello.

Thanks for the replies to my earlier thread ?Capacitor Choice Reassurance?.

The other query I have regards Bart?s JavaTC program.

Could someone explain what the following two outputs in JavaTC actually
mean.

(My complete JAVATC design is at the bottom of this post.)

0.835 inch = Proximity between coils

1.01 inch = Recommended minimum proximity between coils

I have found an old thread in the archives from Bart (titled "JAVATC Version
11 (fwd)" from  19th Aug 2007) when he updated JAVATC to version 11,

In it he explains what he has changed in the version, and mentions these two
particular terms that I am having trouble understanding :-

Cut and pasted  >>>>>>>>

5) Replaced "Clearance Between Coils" with "Proximity Between Coils".

This value accounts for any geometry, any inversion of coil inputs, any

position, any wire size. Yes the wire size is included so that the

nearest point of the two coils is "exact". This particular enhancement

took a lot of work to get right (over 4000 runs to test and verify the

geometric and positional possibilities). BTW, if the two coils butt into

one another, this is identified as a CRASH! The program will not run a

crashed configuration. This prevents issues with Geotc which can get

locked up. I've noticed this in the past on some configurations. This

geotc problem is now prevented.

6) A new output under the primary area: "Recommended Proximity Between

Coils". This output is positioned directly below the current proximity

number and is calc'd only if transformer data is inserted in the

transformer section. It will identify how far away the nearest point

between both coils should be.

End of cut and paste >>>>>>>>>>>

If I am understanding these two terms correctly, does my output value of
0.835 inches for the "Proximity between coils"  distance, mean there is a
problem?

Because the data then goes on to say that the closest the coils should get,
according to my understanding of the " Recommended minimum proximity between
coils",  is 1.01 inches?

So are the primary and secondary distances (1.01 ? 0.835 = 0.175 inches )
too close?

Or is my understanding of these two particular terms, "Proximity between
coils"

and "Recommended minimum proximity between coils", totally wrong?

Regards

Philip

J A V A T C version 11.8 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT

01 September 2008 22:19:54

Units = Inches

Ambient Temp = 68°F

Surrounding Inputs:

100 = Ground Plane Radius

100 = Wall Radius

150 = Ceiling Height

Secondary Coil Inputs:

Current Profile = G.PROFILE_LOADED

2 = Radius 1

2 = Radius 2

23 = Height 1

43 = Height 2

1104.97 = Turns

26 = Wire Awg

Primary Coil Inputs:

3 = Radius 1

8.18 = Radius 2

23 = Height 1

23 = Height 2

8.2231 = Turns

0.315 = Wire Diameter

0.02143 = Primary Cap (uF)

30 = Total Lead Length

0.2 = Lead Diameter

Top Load Inputs:

Toroid #1: minor=4, major=16, height=45, topload

Secondary Outputs:

236.07 kHz = Secondary Resonant Frequency

90 deg° = Angle of Secondary

20 inch = Length of Winding

55.2 inch = Turns Per Unit

0.00216 inch = Space Between Turns (edge to edge)

1157.1 ft = Length of Wire

5:1 = H/D Aspect Ratio

46.8419 Ohms = DC Resistance

32742 Ohms = Reactance at Resonance

0.89 lbs = Weight of Wire

22.074 mH = Les-Effective Series Inductance

23.253 mH = Lee-Equivalent Energy Inductance

22.667 mH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance

20.591 pF = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance

19.547 pF = Cee-Equivalent Energy Capacitance

31.706 pF = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance

6.06 mils = Skin Depth

16.347 pF = Topload Effective Capacitance

125.8303 Ohms = Effective AC Resistance

260 = Q

Primary Outputs:

236.06 kHz = Primary Resonant Frequency

0 % = Percent Detuned

0 deg° = Angle of Primary

24.07 ft = Length of Wire

2.52 mOhms = DC Resistance

0.315 inch = Average spacing between turns (edge to edge)

0.835 inch = Proximity between coils

1.01 inch = Recommended minimum proximity between coils

20.446 µH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance

0.02143 µF = Cap size needed with Primary L (reference)

0.861 µH = Lead Length Inductance

87.077 µH = Lm-Mutual Inductance

0.128 k = Coupling Coefficient

0.129 k = Recommended Coupling Coefficient

7.81  = Number of half cycles for energy transfer at K

16.38 µs = Time for total energy transfer (ideal quench time)

Transformer Inputs:

235 [volts] = Transformer Rated Input Voltage

10000 [volts] = Transformer Rated Output Voltage

48 [mA] = Transformer Rated Output Current

50 [Hz] = Mains Frequency

235 [volts] = Transformer Applied Voltage

0 [amps] = Transformer Ballast Current

4.1 [ohms] = Measured Primary Resistance

12700 [ohms] = Measured Secondary Resistance

Transformer Outputs:

480 [volt*amps] = Rated Transformer VA

207359 [ohms] = Transformer Impedence

10000 [rms volts] = Effective Output Voltage

2.05 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Primary Current

0.0482 [rms amps] = Effective Transformer Secondary Current

482 [volt*amps] = Effective Input VA

0.0154 [uF] = Resonant Cap Size

0.023 [uF] = Static gap LTR Cap Size

0.0398 [uF] = SRSG LTR Cap Size

28 [uF] = Power Factor Cap Size

14142 [peak volts] = Voltage Across Cap

35355 [peak volts] = Recommended Cap Voltage Rating

2.14 [joules] = Primary Cap Energy

459 [peak amps] = Primary Instantaneous Current

31.7 [inch] = Spark Length (JF equation using Resonance Research Corp.
factors)

69.2 [peak amps] = Sec Base Current

Rotary Spark Gap Inputs:

0 = Number of Stationary Gaps

0 = Number of Rotating Electrodes

0 [rpm] = Disc RPM

0 = Rotating Electrode Diameter

0 = Stationary Electrode Diameter

0 = Rotating Path Diameter

Rotary Spark Gap Outputs:

0 = Presentations Per Revolution

0 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second

0 [mph] = Rotational Speed

0 [ms] = RSG Firing Rate

0 [ms] = Time for Capacitor to Fully Charge

0 = Time Constant at Gap Conduction

0 [µs] = Electrode Mechanical Dwell Time

0 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires

0 [peak volts] = Effective Cap Voltage

0 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy

0 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage

0 [power] = Energy Across Gap

0 [inch] = RSG Spark Length (using energy equation)

Static Spark Gap Inputs:

2 = Number of Electrodes

0.25 [inch] = Electrode Diameter

0.16 [inch] = Total Gap Spacing

Static Spark Gap Outputs:

0.16 [inch] = Gap Spacing Between Each Electrode

14142 [peak volts] = Charging Voltage

10141 [peak volts] = Arc Voltage

36888 [volts] = Voltage Gradient at Electrode

63383 [volts/inch] = Arc Voltage per unit

71.7 [%] = Percent Cp Charged When Gap Fires

7.906 [ms] = Time To Arc Voltage

126 [BPS] = Breaks Per Second

1.1 [joules] = Effective Cap Energy

335789 [peak volts] = Terminal Voltage

139 [power] = Energy Across Gap

31.9 [inch] = Static Gap Spark Length (using energy equation)