RE: [TCML] apple green glow

Brian,

Apple green glow generally means soft x-rays with soda-lime glass.  Most of us are using over 10kV, normally a small induction coil, ignition coil,  or Tesla Coil that produces a half-inch spark or more can cause this effect in tubes - whether they are Crookes tubes of some sort or even certain low wattage light bulbs...so a small amount of X-Rays are being produced.

A bluish glow indicates pyrex glass or borosilicate - I've seen X-Ray warnings on modern Crookes tubes made even with this glass, some have said not to operate on more than 10kV, others 35kV, but I think regardless of the real number you get the picture.

The tube doesn't require two electrodes to produce X-Rays.  In fact, there were experimental X-Ray tubes with no electrodes, and many "Tesla" X-Ray tubes with one electrode - the other electrode being the glass walls of the tube acting as a target.  I've even seen moderate vacuum jacketed glass flasks for chemists that produce X-Rays when held near a Tesla Coil.

Depending on what tube it is, the geometry of everything inside may not produce a nice beam of X-Rays for making a clear radiograph, but still it can make scattered rays of lesser power in all directions.  (Even an X-Ray or Crookes tube with proper shaped electrodes will produce scattered rays if the tube is connected in reverse or powered with oscillating currents, etc...)

The little baby X-Ray tube in the previous post was tested with a Russian Geiger counter with as little as a half-inch spark from a 20 watt "Violet Ray" machine and easily set off the geiger counter from a foot away.

In the past, I never took precautions firing up Crookes and X-Ray tubes casually to see if they worked, or to do some quick experiments, because my curiosity was greater than my common sense.  After all, the experiments never lasted more than a few seconds or minutes.  I started experimenting with Tesla Coils as a teenager.  I'm now 32 years old, and after undergoing some tests recently know that I will never be able to have kids in the natural sense.  I'm the last person in my family, and [perhaps] because of my experimenting my family name will die with me as a result of carelessness.

Jeff