Re: [TCML] Variac

Hi Jay,

There's no need to try to "make" a current tansformer

as they are quite available for a pretty reasonable price,

especially when they show up on ebay. One thing to keep

in mind is that they are nearly always rated at X:5, meaning

that most AC ammeters that have a full scale deflection

of more than 0 - 50 will require a MATCHING current

transformer in order to give the correct current mea-

surement - i.e. a 50:5 current transformer would be

required for a 0 - 50 amp ammeter to give a correct

measurement, a 150:5 current transformer for a 0 -

150 amp scaled meter, ect. Many higher current scaled

AC ammeters will come with a matching current trans-

former when purchased new and as far as I know, all

AC ammeters that measure over 50 amps will have a

5 amp full scale deflection and therefore requre a cur-

rent transformer to give a correct current measurement.

David Rieben