Re: [TCML] Odd VTTC Streamer Behavior

John and Phillip
This is interesting as I have done loose testing on + - 1 volt variance on my dual 833A coil tube filaments. I have always used a variac with a volt meter to ramp up the tubes and let them normalize. I have two 5 volt rather large HV rectifier filament transformers in series and the center tap grounded (no staccato). They are very stable. I tested between 9 and 11 volts ( I don't have a spreadsheet ) I used a Wavetech meter to measure the filament AC voltage.

I found that as I approached 11 filament volts the plates would get red faster and the coil would start to loose streamer length. As I approached 9 volts the coil would really start to loose streamer length, but the tubes didn't seem to care.

This is hardly a proper scientific method, but as long as I was using the variac I just did a quick check. Of course, this all is hardly surprising as we are pushing these tubes and 10 volts is the designed proper voltage. So I always run the tubes at 10 volts.

There are so many parameters involved that it is hard to conclude much except run the filaments were they were designed to run. The tubes are used RCA units that I got from a ham rig. I have been using the same pair for three years.
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science