Re: [TCML] finishing a secondary - would insulating foam be a good idea?

Hey Thomas...

Considering that air is a rather decient "insulator", I would have reason to believe that introducing a poly type of material inside the secondary is asking for trouble. Considering that most poly foams are a hydrogen/carbon molecular combination, any small arc would rapidly become a major burn trial and thus a carbon track for additional arcing to propigate thru....

stick to a couple of baffles ( 1 at each end) its already a proven method of internal arc reduction.... but.. if you want to try the foam method, Im sure we all would like to know just how fast arcing does occur ;)

Scot D

Thomas Ryckmans wrote:

Hello,

I am finishing my 4 inches/10 cm diameter secondary, fitting a few PPE disks
inside to prevent arcing and a couple at the ends to help fitting with
primary base and the topload respectively

Would it be a good idea to fill the secondary tube with insulating foam to
further prevent internal arcing? The foam is the one that come in canisters
and expands and harden once sprayed. Polymer is either polyurethane or
polystyrene.

Many thanks for your comments,

Thomas