Re: [TCML] SISG PSU problem

Hi Herwig, when I first read your post, I was thinking that a resonant condition existed (but updating hot-streamer mirror at the time so I didn't reply right off). Terry confirmed a resonant design (if it's built to his specs). As far as "protection", the answer is to prevent resonant voltages from damaging components. So run it in LTR fashion or similar to prevent transformer resonance. The same principles applies to sisg's regarding transformer resonance. I was not aware that Terry's Piranha II coil was resonant in this way. I built my sisg to my own design specs, so I didn't experience this particular situation. I'm also running a pig for the transformer, so I probably wouldn't have realized it even "if" I had copied Terry's Piranha II design.

Regarding the tranny that died: Have you looked at the specs to see if it was in transformer resonance? Maybe it was and maybe it simply couldn't handle the over voltage condition.

Given Terry's information about Piranha II, do you plan to do anything different?

Take care,
Bart

Herwig Roscher wrote:
Unfortunately I do not see any method to protect the secondary winding of the tranni except of using a model 240/4000 V and to run its primary winding from 120 V. Hopefully the secondary winding is designed to withstand much more than 4000 V and this would provide a larger safety margin. And MOTs with potted secondary windings should be preferred.

Any critics, comments and proposals are very welcome.

Herwig