Re: [TCML] Life Magazine historic photo archive

Interesting, I missed the ghostly image of the painter until you pointed it out. Better call "Sightings" or one of those similar TV shows to figure it all out. No doubt this picture was taken at an area 51 hanger, and the device was reverse engineered from alien technology that crash landed at Roswell. :-) Mysterious devices, ghostly image, unknown location..... this picture picture could launch a whole pseudo science series, if the Government doesn't cover it up first! :0)

Dave Goodfellow

Finn Hammer wrote:
David Rieben skrev:
Hi Dave,

I believe that is actually an inclosed Van de Graf
generator. That does look like a primary coil that
the technician is standing on, though doesn't it?
I have seen other images of this same piece and
I believe it was identified as a VDG.
BTW, did anyone notice the "ghost" painter
piering down at the technician in this photo?
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=high+voltage+source:life&imgurl=bda8429bbe7891df

David Rieben

Definately a VDG. Big VDG`s like this one have 2 or more field shaping tanks around it. The full covering tank can be seen on the shelf just above the ghost, which I thank you for pointing out. If residual static is not making the technicians hair stand on end, turning around and spotting that ghost staring down on him sure would!

Cheers, Finn Hammer