RE: [TCML] Tesla's spinning egg of Columbus

I've not studied the topic beyond a casual interest, but the choice of a toroidal core seems curious to me.  Isn't the point of a toroidal core, to as completely as possible, contain all of the magnetic flux (so the egg would see very little of it)?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA