Re: [TCML] Diesel for transformer oil?

Hi Greg, all,

Well I looked up the farm tractor hydraulic oil in the
5 gallon pails at my local Sam's Club today. Unfor-
tunately, this won't be near as economical as I was
hoping, either. $40.68 for each 5 gal. pail and I would
need 5 of them. At this rate, I may as well go ahead
and get the Shell DialaX for $10/gal. I may try waiting
around a while to see if the lower spot market prices
on crude oil will finally trickle down to the consumer
level, as it has already well begun with vehecile fuels.
I'm figuring those two 55 gallon drums that my local
oil jobber was talking about that he had in stock may
have been purchased by them back when crude oil
was still running > $US120/ barrel. Of course, the
diesel fuel could still be an option. However, I don't think
that I would really trust this for backfilling a HV trans-
former, especially an x-ray tranny, which has such a
high voltage density vs. volume ratio that renders its suc-
cessful operation at its full rated voltage absolutely
dependant on a good clean, moisture-free oil backfill.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "G Hunter" <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Diesel for transformer oil?

I used 10 gallons of farm tractor hydraulic fluid to fill up my British pole pig. The fluid has been in there since the 1990's. So far, so good. This is the cheap, generic stuff sold in 5 gallon buckets at Sam's Club. I'm sure they still sell it.

Greg