Re: [TCML] Taming the Beast: Inductive Ballast vs. Variac, PFC

I have some inexpensive laminated cores which you can wind 200 turns
of #8 AWG magnet wire to make a very nice current limiter for PTs and
even pole xmfrs.

I usually clamp the core in such a manner I can use a "lead screw"
mechanism to slowly pull the core in and out of the winding.  In this
fashion a variac is not even necessary --- you start with the core all
in and slowly pull it out to build the current to the value you
require.

Most PTs of the size you have can safely be operated as high as 6 kVA.
 Most PTs are rated 1.5 kVA and I run them at 4.2 kVA all the time
with no problems.

I set the limited at 4.2 kVA to produce a 35 Amp total draw on 120
VAC.  I use two separate 120 breakers (outlets on separate breakers)
so I can pull up to 40 Amps on a 120 Volt input without blowing a
fuse.  I usually use separate power reactors on each of the separate
120 VAC inputs, then parallel them after the two reactors and feed the
120 VAC primary of the PT.

Contact me off-list if you want more info on the cores.

Dr. Resonance