Re: [TCML] PVC insulated wire

Hi Terry,

Your looking at about 688 turns at best. I'm not so down on stranded wire as I am on turns. It would be nice to increase the turns nearer to 1000, even if that meant smaller gauge stranded wire. The coil will work with 700 turns ok, but a few hundred more turns would be better for performance in my experience. If you keep it as a 700 turn coil, you should throw some large power in order to get decent spark lengths.

My first coil was 18g solid at near 700 turns. This coil did much better after I added turns nearer to 1000 (advice from the TCML). This is just my experience and observation. If it's wound already, then hell, give it go and see how it performs.

I probably should mention: My "very" first coil used 18g with large insulation (5kv hv insulation). Only 200 hundred turns or so. I wound the dumb thing just prior to finding the TCML. After I found the TCML, I discussed the coil and realized my ignorance and the major flaws. I took their advice and rewound with solid magnet wire (18g which ended up at 700 turns). The low turn thing came up later after first light. It worked, but not great. In order to get it working "great" I ended up building my tungsten SISG and adding another foot or so to the coil to increase turns and h/d. Then, all was good! The list advice was right on the money!

Take care,
Bart

Terry Oxandale wrote:
Could I prompt some advice about using 18 AWG PVC coated stranded wire
for a secondary. It will be wound on a 15" form, approximately 62". The
wire diameter with insulation is .090, so obviously I will get at best
11 TPI. Initially is seems contrary to the popular "best practices" use
of 1000+ turns.

Terry