Re: [TCML] First (or maybe 2nd) light on my medium-sized SG coil, PT current rating?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. The only thing that I don't like about
the heating element ballast is the energy waste and heat
that must be removed to prevent the control panel from
catching fire! This energy is also sucked away from the
output streamers. I tried the resistive ballst with my huge
Green Monster coil and I was burning generating some
+10 kW worth of heat. It made for a nice electric shop
heater during the colder months when I fired my x-ray
transformer powered JL for several minute runs through
the same ballast with the forced air cooling but also stole
power from the output streamers and was quite noticable
as dimmer output streamers. Also, the excess heat being
blown into the shop was NOT a good thing during the
sweltering summer months!

I have already reduced my primary C to .04 uFd, which
was really easy to do. I was running with (2) paralleled
.04 uFd, 40 kVDC rated commercial pulse caps so all
that I had to do was to remove one of them. I have also
went back to my saturable reactor for ballasting. I think
there's still a few "bugs" that I need to get out of the
system but it's running fairly well now.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Zimmerschied" <zimtesla@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] First (or maybe 2nd) light on my medium-sized SG coil,PT current rating?

Hi David,
I have a PT driven coil of approximately the same configuration as yours. My PT is ballasted by an inductor wound around some transformer core material. It has taps to allow changing the amount of inductance. I am able to run the coil with a 20 Amp breaker. My tank cap is 0.035mF MMC. Perhas using a larger cap is what is drawing so much current.

I also have used a section of dryer heater element in series with the inductor. From reviewing some of Richard Hull's material, it was reported that a resistor/inductor gave a smoother running coil. I didn't see too much difference.

My coil streamers are ~ 64" max. I have some chicken wire on the trusses in my garage above the coil to keep the arcs off the house wiring. I remove the circuit board from the door opener as a precaution after blowing the original and paying $90 for a new one.

Jim Zimmerschied
----- Original Message ----- From: David Rieben<mailto:drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:21 AM

 Hi Jim,

 My PT is just a regular run-of-the-mill 1.5 kVA rated (@ 30*C)
 120:1 GE potential transformer. However, I have found PTs to
 be VERY conservatively rated since they are rated to put out
 their rated VA output with essentially zero voltage drop. After
 all, they are designed for metering a known fraction of primary
 line voltage so voltage accuracy is important. For this reason,
 most PTs can put out several times more VAs than their name-
 plate rating suggests. Of course my PT is made for 120 volt
 input, unlike your monster 5 kVA unit with a 240 volt input.
 Turth be told, you could probably run up to 20 kVA+ through
 that 5 kVA PT of yours if you kept the uninterrupted  run times
 within reason! BTW, if you want to go even bigger on the
 transformer, why not just upgrade to a pole pig as they usually
 run much cheaper than equivalent sized PT combos?

 With that being said, my PT is running fine but I am finding it dif-
 ficult to "hold the reins" on it to keep the current draw within the
 limits of a standard 20 amp line service. I suppose running with
 2 paralleled MOTs with their secondaries shorted as a ballast
 is what's taxing the electric service. You have to remember too
 that I have done gotten spoiled to the 12 to 14 ft. super bright
 discharges of my Green Monster coil running of up to 90 amps
 at 240 volts input and fired with a pole pig. I took on this project
 to have a coil that I could run off a standard 120 volt service
 but I still want to get all of the "bang for my buck" that I can
 muster ;^) I am already getting 50 to 60" arcs with the variac
 only set at about 50 to 60 on the dial but if I try to roll it outside
 and push it further, it will pretty quickly trip the 20 amp panel
 breaker. That's why I was wondering about how much PFCs
 would help to hold down the current draw. I suppose that I could
 also cut back to one MOT and then be able to turn my variac knob
 up higher.

 I also think that my .08 uFd primary C along with a relatively
 monsterous 6 x 30 top-load is also really sucking the amps for
 a standard 120 volt service :^) It seems that a 6" coil is about
 at the size limit for firing at its full potetntial from a standard 120
 volt, 20 amp electrical service.

 --
 David Rieben

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Jim Mora" <wavetuner@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:wavetuner@xxxxxxxxx>>