Re: [TCML] Bending acrylic

Hey Scott...

bending acrylic is quite possible...even to about 1/4" inside radius ( use sharp edge of a table). The trick is to use a heat gun and a form about 15% less than the radius of intent. Use the heat gun ( paint remover style) to apply heat as evenly as possible across the surface while applying steady but light tension to the material being formed, you dont want to get to heavy handed and crack it. As the material begins to heat, it will start to bend. Things to watch for is "flats"( cold areas) beginning to form while bending on the form. Apply a bit more heat to the flat area ( where it is supposed to be bending) ALSO watch for bubbles which form on the surface ( indicates too much heat is being applied). It also helps to get things going a bit easier if you heat both sides of the sheet. Heat up about a 2 -3" wide zone along length of part to about 120 - 150 degrees.. the touch test will suffice... compare the temp to holding finger in a hot cup of coffie... It is not a fast process and can take pleanty of time... Figure 30 minutes to heat and bend 1/4" thick sheet 30" in length at a 1/2" inside radius.

Scot D

Scott Bogard wrote:

Hey guys,
Since we have had a few machining/finishing questions on here lately, I figured it would be ok to ask; is it possible to bend acrylic and get it to hold it's shape. I want to make a curved piece of acrylic, and it seems fragile and wants to crack. I'm assuming you need to heat it, but how hot, using what kind of heat source, etc. Thanks in advance.

Scott Bogard