Re: [TCML] Secondary and Primary Assistance

Hi David,

My plans are a completely different layout based on information I find
in the archives here, and websites of those already constructing such
devices.  When I get down to the nitty gritty in the next 4 - 5
months, I'll document what I do and ask for direct input on items like
strike rail ; Location of secondary in relation to primary (i.e., how
much gap between first wrap and secondary coil. how high should I
mount the secondary.  etc), and general component layout (i.e. how
much room is necessary between the components, which distances are
critical like NST - Primary, spark gap to primary or NST.

The current structure was a first design by the original owner, thus
as you will see, it's very newbie-ish.  Perfect for me though as well
as I know I was missing knowledge and am looking to gain it.

My plan is to go forward with my 12,000 volt Franceformer and optimize
everything based on that unit.

It is my understanding that my current filter for the NST should be
sufficient. Using this circuit design:
http://www.classictesla.com/download/NST_Filter.jpg

I will use a revised spark gap design, yet to be chosen.

I will use the same capacitors I currently have in place, 16 2000Vdc
.15mfd +_10%.  Part number is 942C20P15K.  Though I understand this
may need to change.

I will construct a new primary coil.  I will work with the JAVATC
program found here:
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

I will construct a new secondary coil also using that program.

In both cases I'll optimize the design for use with the NST I currently have.

I appreciate your input, and would value any thoughts you or others
have on the plan laid out.  Am I not taking something into account at
this stage that a I should.  Am I making assumptions that simply can't
be made at this point?

Thank you