Re: [TCML] Transformer cores

In a message dated 3/13/2008 9:53:44 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
m.bailey@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I was looking at my mot transformers and noticed that the  laminations were
welded together in a couple long welds that joined all the  laminations. I
thought the laminations were supposed to be insulated from each  other ? I am
going to be starting on my slide choke soon and was thinking  about how to stick
the laminations together , I came up with coating each  piece with polyurathane
then using epoxy to glue the whole thing together ,  then coating the whole
thing  with a coat of epoxy that way the  laminations are all separated and not
touching .But if welding them together  will work then I will do that . If I
can weld them is there any point in even  using polyurathane to insulate the
layers ? thanks for any replies
I just finished building my 6MOT power supply , I am very  happy with the
results ,the mots are in pairs and placed in 3  .50 cal  ammo boxes and filled
with oil , thanks to everyone on the list for the info  on MOT stacks , the
archives have been extremely helpful. hope to have some  pictures one day

Thanks again
Mike

Mike,

the welding method works OK because there's only a small volume or area  of
the transformer that's welded.  Most of the area of the laminations  are
insulated.

Cheers,
John