Re: [TCML] DC base driven coil

In a message dated 3/12/2008 6:28:15 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx writes:

>In that case, we're talking about at least a coupla  uF? And  all the base
>current of the secondary flowed through this cap to  ground?

Phil,

In some of Lou's writing, he implies that a 0.10uF cap might work  well
at 500kHz.  He suggests that an 0.01uF cap may also be OK but
would show a higher impedance at that frequency.
Since Lou preferred to apply 40kVDC to the capacitor, I suppose  the
cap should be rated higher than this to give a margin of safety.

Lou said that the charging system worked as a relaxation oscillator
by adding a choke in series with the capacitor to create a  time  constant
which controlled the firing rate.  Typically, this firing rate would  be much
lower than the break rate of the TC itself, if I remember  correctly.

John