Re: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

On occasions I have forgotten the RF ground in my more complicated setups. This sent all sorts of nasty voltages back to my control box and set my big safety gaps firing. I didn't realise immediately because the sparks to the primary were on the opposite side of the 18 inch coil. As it happened arcs went across the phenolic rotary gap to the motor shaft causing a carbon track. When it came to firing the TC a few days later while filming the Xmas tree effect for Discovery channel, it started arcing over in ernest, despite a good earth. I nearly had to stop the shoot but did some creative work with a drill to gouge out the carbon track as well as doing a balancing gouge on the other side. All went well in the end and was all filmed. Having things go wrong adds to the drama.
http://tesladownunder.com/#Videos    Session 4
Peter