Re: [TCML] HV Panel Meters

Standard mA meters work fine.  Be sure to use approx 6 each of back to back
1N4007 diodes in anti-parallel configuration connected directly across the
meter.  In case a ground should fail or become disconnected this saves the
meter as the voltage rise is less than 10 Volts and not 12 kV.

Unless the xmfr itself fails, in strict accordance with the turns ratio, the
metering method I suggested is much simplier and does not involve expensive
multi-meg HV rated resistors.

A small NE-2 neon bulb tappd to each lead off the HV xmfr bushing can
indicate the presence of HV.  The leads are spread 180 degrees each and act
as a small antenna to pick up the HV by simple induction.  This is also a
good idea for any experimenter to use whether using pole pigs, PTs, or
NSTs.  Seeing the NE-2 always indicates some HV is present thus preventing
you from touching anything hot.  Unplugging the power lead is also a must
for experimenters especially during tuning procedures.

Dr. Resonance