Re: [TCML] Dual MOT SGTC

Hi, nice work with limited resources.

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Liviu Vasiliu <teslina@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:05
Subject: [TCML] Dual MOT SGTC

Hi list

I built these days another dual MOT for a friend (he needs it for a presentation
or maibe to impress some other guys, who knows). I dont have the time to set a
web page, but I made a quick movie presentation (sort of...) and some "action"
movies.

The power source is just two MOTs in serie (4-4.5 kV output), inductive
ballasted on the low voltage side. I still believe that it is the cheapest
solution for the eastern Europe where the NSTs are still rare. They give enough
power for a healthy streamer and if they are well ballasted they can get some
more voltage input (from a variac) without saturation (just more voltage and
lower current in the same power area). The gap is not set very wide (to mantain
the breakrate at resonable high level), so the streamer is not the longest
possible, but is still very good for a presentation. I wound a bit longer
secondary to prevent the strikes to the strikerail, allowing the full lenght for
the streamers. Because the low kV input the primary cap cost is very low.

The "presentation" movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdu0BoxSaw

220 V from mains, multiple streamer output:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IdWf83LNvw

250 V from variac, more like a single streamer output:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18yltrMa5AE

Enjoy

teslina