[TCML] Newbie

I've been reading TCML for a long time, while drooling over everyone's
homemade tesla coils.  I've always had an interest in high voltage
experiments, but don't really have a good education when it comes to
physics.  I think I took a basic high school level course a while back (it's
hard to remember 30 years ago).  However, I think I understand the theory
behind the coils.  Anyways, I got my hands on a 9/30 NST hoping that it
would be my first step to building a coil.  I have two questions regarding
the build.

What diameter and height should my secondary be?  I looked on
DeepFriedNeon.com but the numbers were just approximations.  I've got some
4" PVC pipe laying around.  Would a 4" be efficient?

I understand how to construct the MMC, but I don't know how many and what
size caps I need and how to determine it.  I can't find an explanation in
laymen's terms.  Could someone give me an equation or run the numbers for
me?

Thanks for your responses.

John Matok