[TCML] Resistive Control instead of Variac?

Instead of using a Variac with a NST, has anyone used a large resistive device to control a Tesla?  I've got these very large theater lighting resistive packs.  They look very "evil scientist" with large control handles (kinda like a boat throttle.)  I've connected it to the Tesla once and it seemed to work fine to control the power going to the NST.  Of course these doesn't boost the voltage like a Variac, but I've thought that a small control transformer could be used to buck-boost the voltage.

Any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

CP8071