Re: [TCML] Greenhorn Coiler

Hey Nicholas...

Welcome to the world of coiling :)

The transformer is the main driving factor in building a coil, it determines the rest of the system size and components. Since you are beginning to become involved in coiling, it would be best to start off with a transformer in the NST ( neon sign transformer) size a 12-15Kv 30mA unit would be a standard choice. ( if you get shocked by this transformer there is a chance you will live, anything larger and the chance drops to 0).

RMS means root means square this is basically an average rating of an AC voltage between the peaks of the sine wave.

Specifics... when buying an NST, avoid the GFI type of transformer try to obtain an older model Franceformer or a Transco

Check out the local neon sign shops in the area and also indutrial lighting places you may find one on ebay ....

Scot D

Nicholas J. Goble wrote:

I'm beginning to plan my first tesla coil. I've looked through many sites over the internet and can't find any concrete information on the transformer needed. I know this is a broad question, but can someone please explain the type of transformer that I need. I don't want to buy something that's not going to work on a tesla coil.

I'm leaning more towards an NST because I've read that the alternative needs oil (OBIT) and that seems like a hassle to deal with.

Here are a few questions that I have:

1) What size transformer should I get?
2) What does RMS mean?
3) Is there anything specific that I need to know when buying a transformer? 4) Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should get and where I could get it?

Thanks

Nicholas Goble