From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Bert Hickman
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 3:24 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] gaps

Hi Bart,

And, with gaps and NST's, YMMV...  :^)

bartb wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> Excellent assessment as I always expect to see in any of your postings!
>
> Your first two paragraphs sort of stuck out to me and didn't quite match
> my experience (the note about the most efficient static gap appearing to
> be a single gap). For that particular issue, I disagree. If within a
> single or very quick time frame, then I would agree. But there are
> various types of coilers (and by various I mean how they run their
> coils). For me, I like to run "long runs" and for others, 20 seconds is
> a long run. For "those" extremely short runs, a single gap would be
> efficient, but for those of us that run the 5 minute or longer runs, a
> single gap will never do well except maybe at low power.

 From a practical standpoint, I agree with you. I've also had very good
results using multiple static gaps. As you suggest, the challenge with a
single gap is cooling. Simply using high velocity air flow is not
sufficient, particularly at higher power levels. A successful high power
single gap (be it sucker type or air blast) requires using comparatively
massive electrodes (i.e., low thermal resistance and high thermal
capacity) combined with sufficient overall cooling. The electrodes need
to be comparatively massive, with little distance separating the active
region and the main body. The key is to prevent forming incandescent
regions on the electrodes since, once this occurs, the gap then loses
its ability to efficiently quench, and coil output plummets.

Static gaps often use thin or pointed electrodes. Since either have
higher thermal resistance, overheating may occur within seconds. The
electrode tips simply can't get rid of heat quickly enough, even with
heroic levels of air flow. To achieve low thermal resistance, electrodes
must be comparatively large and made of copper or copper tungsten alloy
so that heat is rapidly extracted from the active region. Cooling air
then removes heat from the larger electrode assembly as well as removing
hot gases from the gap itself.

> The gap has to find a thermal equilibrium. That's when heat
> dissipation/time becomes important for an efficient static gap.

I agree. It ultimately comes down to power level, thermal resistance,
thermal capacitance, and sufficient air cooling. You still reach
equilibrium, but at a lower electrode operating temperature, with better
quenching.

> A single
> gap would only do well in this situation at low power.

It ultimately depends on the robustness of the gap design. When properly
designed, a high power single static gap can work very well, even at
high power and high rep rates.

BTW, there have been

> Higher powered
> NST coils need quick thermal stability. For myself, I've found largish
> copper tubing to be good for a static gap.

I've seen the same thing. And, I suspect that most coilers would see
better performance when using a typical multiple gap versus a typical
single static gap. But I still contend that a properly designed single
gap can ultimately outperform a multiple gap by a measurable amount.

> It's quick to heat but quick
> to dissipate also. With the right air flow, rather high current can be
> used efficiently. I have tried the same air flow on 1/2" tubing and the
> gap was lousy! Then tried the same on solid stock. Great at first, but
> then suffered immense losses due to heat build up in the material (about
> 15 seconds into the run, efficiency dropped like a rock). Surface area
> makes a big difference. But even 1.25" tubing surface area without the
> right air flow is no better than small 1/2" tubing. The air flow and
> tube size are very important for an efficient static gap that will rival
> the best SRSG.

I agree, and bigger is usually better... :^)

> As far as "chaotic firing" of static gap systems, I "sort of" disagree.
> It is a bit "higher" bps than one might calc, but I have not found it
> all that high. There is a pattern to the break.

Interesting. I've found that at some variac settings, the gap "sort of"
synchronized, showing similar sequences of firing patterns over 2-3
mains half cycles. Then, at other settings, there seemed to be no
discernible pattern, while input mains current fluctuated wildly.
However, I made these measurements on a system that used a mains
resonant tank cap, and that may also have worsened the degree of
instability. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that LTR systems exhibit
more uniform behavior.

> Because of that, it's
> not so "chaotic" in my measurements (so far). I still need to measure
> current and bps concentrically to get a handle on it. My most basic
> thoughts are current is dramatically increased (ferro resonance?), the
> gap breakdown voltage decreased for a moment (?), or the gap had a
> transient occur resulting in a hv situation that forced breakdown.
> Always, this occurrence occurs directly "after" an expected break down.
> This is the not so chaotic behavior. There is a reason for it. It's just
> a matter of determining if it is a sudden current or a voltage
> controlled issue.

I mostly agree. Seemingly chaotic behavior oftentimes has underlying
structure. We may be seeing something closer to "deterministic chaos".  :^)

> Take care,
> Bart

Best wishes,

Bert