Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Primary selfC

Hi Chris,

Granted for a rolled cap situation, N = 3. But in a primary, use 2. This is what I was trying to state in my correction to the list. A rolled cap has 2 sheets rolled up. But a primary is a single sheet. So, say 5nF which is somewhat close to my calcs. But I agree with Phil, it is extremely high for what anyone would expect. However, let us say we had a 2 plate capacitor of 600 square inches separated by 1mm (or .03937 inches), then what? Would we assume then the basic plate cap formula is wrong? It's worked just fine for other plate caps, why would it be wrong here?

I'm not saying it's correct, I'm asking the question to anyone who might have insight. BTW, you mentioned a typo. Can you specify?

Take care,
Bart

Chris Swinson wrote:
Phil,

C = 0.2248*k*A*(N-1)/(d*x)  (in pF)
where
k = Dielectric constant (1.0006 for  air)
A = Effective plate area in square inches (length  x width)
N = Number of conductive plates (3 for a  rolled cap)
d = individual dielectric film thickness  (.03937" in this case)
x = number of stacked sheets of  dielectric between plates (1 in
this case)