RE: [TCML] Multilayered Secondary Coils

SD -

There is a magic about it - not so much in the end result, but in the process to get there.  These projects can be a real challenge, and in the effort of making them you end up going through the same struggles as whoever made them before.  In the end, you learn more about whoever invented them.  Sometimes people's patents make no sense when you first read them - and then, after trying to replicate a few you realise why they did whatever it was...As for Rembrandt and Van Gogh - I admirer both - and recommend two books that most of us Tesla Coilers can relate to (even in coiling!).  One is called "Materials For The Artist".  It was written and reprinted many times, but gives wealths of obscure information on the longevity of resins and oils, pigments, etc - dating back to Rembrandt - and many of these same ingredients end up in coiling books of the 1890s... paints, varnishes, insulations...

The other book is a three volume set of the Complete Letters Of Vincent Van Gogh.  Over 700 letters to his brother, Theo.  Late 1800s, everything from brothels to asylums, electric shock treatments, families of clergymen.   It represents life then in a way no other book could.  Imagine that at one time there was Tesla, van Gogh, Gauguin, Crookes, Oliver Lodge, Röntgen,...Tolouse Latrec?!  Time to break out the Geissler Tubes and a bottle of Absinth!

Jeff