Re: [TCML] Modern Marvels

Mike -

  Actually, the assumption that "most black materials contain carbon" is untrue. The black materials most likely to contain carbon black are rubber compounds and some printing inks.

  This is easily proven with a multimeter with a high resistance range (40 megs or higher), or preferably a megohmmeter capable of measuring up to the gigaohm range. Just go around your home and probe various black materials (plastic items,  vinyl jacket on AC line cords, black spray paint applied to paper, etc). You'll find that very few polymeric materials are "conductive" in a way that would have any significant affect on high voltage apparatus.

  Regards,
  Herr Zapp

Mike Kalish <mkalish2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Watching the Modern Marvels show on Tesla, I noticed something odd.
So I Emailed the KVA Effects guys to ask bout it.
Here is the original email I sent.

Hello guys,

I am an amateur Tesla coiler from Texas and I'm working on my first DRSSTC.
I recently saw the Modern Marvels episode on Tesla where you guys fired up a small DRSSTC. Very cool, as always.
My question is:
The secondary was black in color.
What was it that it was coated in to make it black?

It's been my understanding that most black materials contain carbon, and are no good around HV arc producing gear because they are inherently conductive.

At least thats what the guys on the 4HV.org forum are always telling people.

(snip)