[TCML] Modern Marvels

Watching the Modern Marvels show on Tesla, I noticed something odd.
So I Emailed the KVA Effects guys to ask bout it.
Here is the original email I sent.

Hello guys,

I am an amateur Tesla coiler from Texas and I'm working on my first DRSSTC.
I recently saw the Modern Marvels episode on Tesla where you guys fired up a small DRSSTC.  Very cool, as always.
My question is:
The secondary was black in color.
What was it that it was coated in to make it black?

It's been my understanding that most black materials contain carbon, and are no good around HV arc producing gear because they are inherently conductive.

At least thats what the guys on the 4HV.org forum are always telling people.

Once again, keep up the good work and keep amazing us with your impressive sparks.

Thank you,

Mike Kalish
Here is their reply to me.

Mike,

You are a sharp guy and the first to catch this “feature”.

The prohibition against black is VERY valid and we ALWAYS are careful to avoid it unless it is Dolph’s EB-41, a well known black HV insulator (I wouldn’t use it on a secondary but I know some people do). As a practice, avoid black for the reasons you stated.

However, the SparkDodger™ coating that is a very different and proprietary coating that has cost us thousands of $$$ in R&D to develop. We may offer it in small batches next year so keep an eye on www.pupman.com for an announcement.

Jeff