Re: [TCML] Secondary Troubles

In a message dated 7/4/2008 9:13:21 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
pslawinski@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I set up my TC today to 'play'.  I think I made a big  mistake.  I
accidentally had the ungrounded low voltage lead from the  secondary inside
the coil form.  To make a long story short my secondary  PVC form now has
some nice tree-like black tracks on the inside of it.   The TC still works,
and puts out streamers to about three and a half feet or  more. >>

It's a good idea to install baffles at each end of the secondary. Cut some
plex discs to fit inside the PVC and epoxy or silicone them in place at each
end  of the tube. (Don't use a solvent type adhesive because it could leave
explosive  vapors inside the coil form!) This will almost insure that the arc
can't take a  short cut down the inside of the coil form, especially when your
arcs start to  get more than twice the secondary length. I actually installed
three baffles  inside my 8" coil just for good measure.

<< Should I stop  coiling for making such a stupid mistake? >>

The only stupid mistake is one that one that hurts YOU, and not a
replaceable piece of pipe and a little bit of wire. Real learning comes from  making
your own "mistakes", and living to tell about them. Just look at how much  you
have already found out about how to prevent this from happening again.  Not just
from the replies from the list, but you now have first hand knowledge  of
what went wrong and why. Most of us have been there...done that...have the  tons
of fried parts to prove it, but keep on coiling anyway because with each
failure comes a better, bigger coil the next time. And THAT'S what it's all  about!

Ya still with us, Phil?

Tony Greer